Idiotic Comment of the Day: Frank Fenner

Frank Fenner

Today’s lunacy comes from virologist Frank Fenner:

“We’re going to become extinct,” the eminent scientist says. “Whatever we do now is too late.”

“Homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years,” he says. “A lot of other animals will, too. It’s an irreversible situation. I think it’s too late. I try not to express that because people are trying to do something, but they keep putting it off.”

Read it here.

Comments

1. “Whatever we do now is too late.”

Thank god for that! At least he won’t mind then if we do nothing about it.

2. Mariah Dan says:

Is there something in the water (or the air) down that way that makes people stupid?

Otherwise….Hear, Hear Dave N!

3. papertiger says:

pretty sure Frank will be extinct by then. Maybe that’s what he’s talking about.

4. froggy uk says:

Is this old stoat one of those nutters we have in the U,K that pace up & down outside railway stations?,the ones that wear sandwich boards stating “the end of the world is nigh” or “repent before it is to late”, before being carted off by men in white coats to be placed securely in a padded cell,then only has other human contact when his drugs are administered!.

5. Red Admiral says:

I think the Rev’d Malthus may have got there before him.

6. Evgeniya says:

At least his comments are based on science data and research. What are your comments based on, people? Ignorance?

7. I can think of at least a dozen ways that humans could be extinct in the next 100 years. I can’t think of a dozen ways that will keep it from happening. You people sound like the passengers on the Titanic before the iceberg. Personally, I’m throwing in my hat with the old man.

8. The Loaded Dog says:

Oh for heaven’s sake Frank. See what happens when you stop taking your meds?

Their prescribed for a reason man.

and Evgeniya

“At least his comments are based on science data and research.”

oh dear me…

Speak to your Doctor. You don’t have to live in fear. There’s help available for you too.

9. rageagainst says:

@the loaded dog, froggy uk, mariah dan: I like your optimism, I wish you people are right.. but look ‘around you’. “We” don’t give a shit about this earth, all the waste and spills and etc.. why would you think Frank is wrong? You think that all this mindless reproduction and waste is ok without any consequences?

10. People are selfish ignorant and believe that denying is treatment for some problems. The same like a small kid who cover head not to fear of something…Maybe he is old but his no one at this forum and not only achieved so many as he did…

11. Imho .. the biggest reason why we will fail is our greed for money. Imagine,
    profit-oriented companies get all the natural ressources. To make what?
    Just money … its all about making money to get more power to keep
    the situation as it is or make it worse. Regardless of the consequences
    of course.

@Evgeniya: I agree, many comments are pure ignorance.

Another reason, why humans will fail … 3 lives means 3 opinions,
    regardless how the reality is. Pure act of defiance .. imho.

@Axon: i like ur analogy.

12. Mariah Dan says:

Aww rageagainst….I do give a shit about this earth AND the mindless reproduction AND spills AND etc. Frank is only right if you happen to believe in AGW (which I, and 1000’s of others don’t).
    Climate change is natural and there is nothing we can do to stop it unless you know how to control the sun, orbital wobbles, volcanoes etc.
    So, actually, in a sense, old Frank is right after all – it IS too late to do anything about it and I’m sure extinction started hundreds of years ago anyway despite what homo sapiens might have contributed since 🙂

%d bloggers like this: