Recall the recent paper by Stephan Lewandowsky entitled “NASA faked the moon landing – Therefore (Climate) Science is a Hoax: An Anatomy of the Motivated Rejection of Science” (see here).
Look at the title again – it directly links belief in the faking of the moon landing to scepticism of the alarmist claims of mainstream climate science.
Recall also that the survey was posted on 8 websites, all sympathetic to the consensus position, many of which are vociferous critics of any kind of questioning of the Cause.
Recall further that in my original post I queried how many responses would actually have been from sceptics, given the demographics of the sites in question, despite the fact that the paper claims the sample size to be over 1000.
Bishop Hill has obtained a copy of the raw survey data (Excel spreadsheet here so you can check for yourself). The column entitled “CYMoon” lists the responses to the question:
The Apollo moon landings never happened and were staged in a Hollywood film studio. (source – PDF at page 28)
using the following key:
- 1 – Strongly disagree
- 2 – Disagree
- 3 – Agree
- 4 – Strongly agree
Counting the responses in this column gives the following result:
- Disagree or strongly disagree – 1 or 2 (i.e. the moon landings were not faked): 1135
- Agree or strongly agree – 3 or 4 (i.e. the moon landings were faked): 10
Since there are such a tiny number of moon landing deniers, I decided to take a look at the actual responses to the climate questions from the ten that believed the moon landings were faked. Astonishingly, the responses reveal that six of the ten either agree or strongly agree with ALL of the following statements:
- I believe that burning fossil fuels increases atmospheric temperature to some measurable degree.
- I believe that the burning of fossil fuels on the scale observed over the last 50 years has increased atmospheric temperature to an appreciable degree.
- I believe that the burning of fossil fuels on the scale observed over the last 50 years will cause serious negative changes to the planet’s climate unless there is a substantial switch to non CO2 emitting energy sources.
- I believe that the burning of fossil fuels on the scale observed over the last 50 years has caused serious negative changes to the planet’s climate.
So in fact, out of the sample of 10 that believe the moon landings were faked, a majority (60%) accept the consensus position on climate science.